Thursday, November 20, 2014

Thanksgiving may be hard to swallow this year

With the approach of the holidays, I find myself in the familiar and unenviable position of being torn between all the blessings I should be thankful for and remembering that this is my first ever Thanksgiving without my mom. This is complicated by the fact that this week also marks the seven month anniversary of her death. Hard to imagine.
My mom loved the holidays. The food, the fellowship, the family, the food. So many things remind me of her. So many little things. This will be an event.
We are going to go to my sister's as I have most years when I could. Eating in the same place we had Thanksgiving last year with my mom. I don't know how to prepare for this. I don't like being ill prepared. Much less unprepared. I am writing this mostly as a cathartic exercise in hopes it will help. I am not fooled. I am not naive. Maybe a little desperate. I am trying not to imagine Christmas. That is a whole other ball game. And it falls on the eight month anniversary of my mom's funeral. Dandy.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I know. Me too. But we will give thanks for Jen and Annaliese and Georgia and Ian and all the blessings. And Mom will approve.

But I have to learn how to make deviled eggs. She always made them for you, even last year when she was sick.

The kids already plan to buy us Thin Mints for Christmas. Shhh. It's a surprise.

It's the new normal, and we will make it. We'll set her a place and eat a slice of key lime pie in her honor.

I love you!

SQuick81 said...

I love you all very much! My mom will give you her recipe for deviled eggs with step by step instructions. Lol

Steelmagnolia221 said...

I got nothing...it's a very personal journey, albeit a painful one. Just know I love you and Leslie very much and will be praying for you both during these difficult times. Hugs...